Gabriel J. Padilla
Gabe Padilla’s diverse practice focuses on representing clients in environmental litigation and administrative actions with a particular focus on cases involving soil, groundwater, and sediment contamination. He also has experience in complex litigation matters in the areas of Proposition 65, products liability, and toxic torts. Gabe has represented a broad client base that ranges from international oil companies and defense contractors to small companies, municipalities, and individuals. He has defended clients against actions by EPA, states, citizen groups, and private parties, including in cases involving CERCLA and the Clean Water Act, as well as in contract disputes, and in a confidential mediation and allocation involving over 100 PRPs at a Superfund site.
Gabe received his law degree from Loyola Law School in Los Angeles where he was an Articles Editor for the Loyola Law Review. He also externed for the Environment Section of the California Attorney General while in law school. Gabe received his bachelor’s degree in Geography/Environmental Studies from UCLA where he learned problem-solving approaches from an interdisciplinary perspective involving the interaction between social, physical, and biotic environmental systems.
- Represented large defense contractor as corporate successor to both a former shipbuilding company and an aluminum processing company in a 100+ PRP CERCLA confidential mediation and allocation at the Portland Harbor Superfund Site.
- Represented major waste management services provider in defense of a Clean Water Act citizen suit alleging permit violations at a large southern California landfill and recycling center.
- Represented supplier of advanced technology to the petroleum industry in complex multi-party groundwater contamination litigation brought by a southern California county water district.
- Represented former president of dissolved metal finishing company in responding to EPA information request.
- Represented pesticide distributor in multi-party coordinated proceeding brought by municipality and other purveyors of drinking water alleging contaminated groundwater.
- Represented parts distributor in multi-defendant toxic tort action in complex litigation, brought by former employee of aerospace company.
- Represented parent company of former wood treating facility against property diminution claims by nearby residents.
- Represented municipality in breach of contract action involving rights and liabilities associated with methane gas generated at a landfill.
- Represented oil companies in complex, multi-party litigation involving soil and groundwater contaminated by MTBE.
- Represented a major retailer and a consumer brands manufacturer in settlement of various Proposition 65 claims by various citizen groups.
- Represented multiple food retailers in complex litigation brought by citizens group seeking Proposition 65 warnings at retail coffee stores due to the presence of acrylamide in coffee.
- Represented major snack food manufacturer in complex litigation brought by CA Attorney General and citizen groups seeking Proposition 65 warnings on potato products due to the presence of acrylamide.